HISTORY

Thompson-Markward Hall

Our Story

A history that spans nearly 200 years; a mission that has nourished the hearts and minds of countless young women. Get to know more of TMH’s fascinating milestones, champions and successes. (Hint: Eleanor Roosevelt plays a leading role!)

1833: Grief & an Open Door

Ms. Mary G. Wilkinson, while grieving the death of her daughter, recognizes a need. Young women, moving to Washington, DC, and seeking employment, have very few options for a place to stay. She begins small. She opens the doors of her own home at 230 East Capitol Street to two young women. But before long, her home doesn’t suffice. A new location is secured on Fifth Street NW.

1887: A Congressional nod.

Under the name “The Young Woman’s Christian Home”, TMH is chartered by Congress and incorporated.

1890: $1000 per annum.

TMH has relocated again; this time to 404 Sixth Street NW and is receiving an annual Congressional appropriation of $1000.

1892: A tony address.

Another milestone year; we receive our first large gift when Ms. Bessie J. Kibbey deeds her grandfather’s home to our Board of Trustees. The property, located in what at the time is a very fashionable part of the city, is expanded. An extra floor, new dining room, kitchen and dormitory are added to the home. We can now accommodate 50 residents.

1911: 75 beds.

We’re expanding again. Our Board purchases and renovates the residence next door at 315 C Street NW, meaning we now have room for 75 residents.

1931: A final move

The city, in planning to make C Street part of a Municipal Center, acquires our 315 address. The Board of Trustees purchases the lot at 235 Second Street NE; ground is broken in October on what will become our current property.

1931: Dedicated Space

Life Member of the Board of Trustees - Mrs. Flora Markward - passes away, leaving $250,000 to the Home, with instructions that a memorial to her mother and husband be established. The result: A dedicated space, where young women can receive care while recovering from an illness or an operation is established at the home.

1937: Eleanor Roosevelt & a new name

On April 27, Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt visits the home for a dedication ceremony; the new convalescent wing is named Thompson-Markward Memorial Hall. The wing operates until 1938 when it is converted to regular dormitory space for residents. The entire building becomes known as Thompson-Markward Hall.